cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ip helper-address and VLANs

WILLIAM STEGMAN
Level 4
Level 4

I have a few 2948Gs and a 3560 multilayer switch. I have the VLANs on a 2948, which points to the 3560 as its default gateway. I have connection throughout, I'm able to ping the DHCP server from the any switch, however the ip helper-address command doesn't work unless I define a static route on our router that points traffic destined for a particular vlan to get there via the multilayer swtich. I don't understand why that static route on the router is necessary for ip helper, can anyone explain? I've tried using the multilayer switch and the router as the dhcp server's gateway, but neither help.

thank you,

Bill

5 Replies 5

Hello Bill,

not sure if I fully understand your physical setup: your clients are using the multilayer switch as their default gateway, and the VLAN interfaces are configured on that multilayer switch, the 3560 ? When you talk about your router, I assume you do not mean the 3560 ?

Regards,

GP

that's correct. The multilayer 3560 is uplinked to a 2811 router. The 3560 is on the 10.4.0.0 subnet, and all clients in that subnet, which includes the DHCP server, use the multilayer switch as their default gateway, 10.4.0.84. The other VLAN clients use the address, as defined on the multilayer switch, as their default gateway. For example, the 10.4.5.0 VLAN uses 10.4.5.1 as their default gateway.

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Bill,

Please paste the config from your 3560 switch and also a detailed discription of the topology. where is the DHCP server located.Also describe about the Router is post above.

regards,

-amit singh

I've attached the 3560s config. The DHCP server is on the 10.4.0.0 subnet.

3560MLS --------------------- 2811Router

|

2948Switch

|

2948Switch - DHCP server here, 10.4.0.16/24gateway is 10.4.0.84

|

2948Switch - VLANs reside here

i think i got this. I needed to reboot my dhcp server after changing its default gateway to the multilayer switch, rather than the 2811 router. It seems to be working fine now.

thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco