cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP helper-addressing, VLANs on 3550 switch

gadget207
Level 1
Level 1

Have had trouble getting dhcp addresses from NT4 server to clients in VLANS. All VLANS configured with helper address of NT4 server which resides in management VLAN. Do I need to add persistent routes to NT4 server for each vlan's gateway address for this to work ?

7 Replies 7

jeff
Level 1
Level 1

Try adding " ip helper-address x.x.x.x" where X is your PDC, to each VLAN interface .

yes...already done...with all VLANS as i have said....I think this issue may have to do with the DCHP ACK getting sent back to the proper gw interface....am I correct here?

jeff
Level 1
Level 1

Question: Your switch running Enhanced Multilayer Software Image (EMI)

so can do the Layer 3 routing ?

yes, with IP routing enabled. I tested using static addresses in each VLAN and could ping all other equip in all VLANs....It was just DHCP configured clients not getting addresses...

So its not a routing problem...

Any possibility a Firewall or ACL is blocking UDP to ports 67 and 68??

Also make sure on your switches that are hosting your dhcp clients that portfast is on , possible clients are timing out . Also you might be able to do a debug on your 3550 to see what is going on .

Thanks!....will enable portfast on all access ports, and enable debugs...btw....no firewall between VLANS....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: