Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

IP Multicast Question

Hi,

I am going to do a testing for IP multicast, but I want to make sure that my theory is right.

Sender is sending a huge multicast traffic to receiver on the same VLAN. The packet size is around 6000 MB. The sender and receivers are on different switches connected with 1GB trunk.

If I enable IGMP Snooping on all the switches that have that specific vlan, I am assuming that this should not be a problem.

My concern is, the multicast packet is so much bigger than the trunk bandwidth can handle, would that be a problem? If this is a problem, will upgrading the hardware to 720gb backplane and Sup2 solve the problem?

All the switches are C6509 with Sup1a and 32gb backplane currently.

Thanks.

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: IP Multicast Question

hi,

How is it possible to have a packet size of 6Gb ?

Is the frame size 6000 bytes , i.e. a jumbo frame ?

Re: IP Multicast Question

Hi,

I know it sounds unbelievable. The user is sending 1000 messages and each message is 6mb in size. He is using IP in the range of 224.168.0.1 - 224.168.0.254. I think this is a non-reserved IP range and should not cause any problem. I will try to move this range to the 239.168.0.0 range in the future.

What I really want to know is, if the multicast traffic is bigger than what the trunk link can handle, will enable multicast and igmp be useful.

Thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies