Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

IP Multicasting

I got a 3550 SMI Multilayer switch and 2950T series switch,my question is how to do the IP Multicasting procuder and does it support 3550 SMI Switch.Can you please advise me the examples on how i can do the start configuration for IP multicast with 3550 Multilayer switch and 2950T series switch.If posible

can i group them into one group for multicasting.

Thank you.

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: IP Multicasting

Green

If you are just looking to pass multicasts, then you're all set. Switches by their nature will forward all broadcasts and multicasts.

The "special multicast features" on a (L2)switch are usually there to "prune back" multicasts to output the multicasts only on the interfaces/ports that are participating in the multicast.

If you are also using a router, then you can enable CGMP (it'll look on the router to see who is participating and prune the stream based on what the router sees as group participants).

Scott

Quick question about CGMP/IGMP. From my understanding of the way these 2 work, I would think that for IGMP to work, CGMP must be disabled (meaning to work independently) and for CGMP to work, IGMP must be enabled. Would this be correct?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content