Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

IP packet question for my cisco academy class

I am a Cisco academy instructor at Sunny Hills Academy teaching Cisco CCNA. I want to ask this questions for my class at Cisco Academy Program in Fullerton CA.

1-what is the maximum # of the outgoing links in a backbone router?

in other words, when a packet reach a router, a router has to take a decision to send the packet to a particular outgoing interface, port, which has a mac address. What is the max. # of outgoing interfaces in a backbone router? I am not talking about routing protocol but ip packets.

2- The TTL field in the ip header is 8-bit, so the max. # of hops is 255, but this to prevent the ip packet from moving forever. What is the max. # of hops that the ip packet can traverse from the source to the destination?

I like to ask Cisco expert Vivek Baveja this question please

Thanks

2 REPLIES

Re: IP packet question for my cisco academy class

1. It depends on what router you are using as the backbone router....Your question is kinda unclear....

2. Practically the value of TTL set on a packet by the host varies from host to host. If you set it to 255, it should go 255 hops before which it is dropped, but I dont think, there is any location reachable via the internet, where the number of hops would be that much high!

Re: IP packet question for my cisco academy class

Now you confused between the Routing protocol and

> IP

> >packet it self.

> >

> > IEGRP knows up to 255 net. but I'm looking to the

> IP

> >it self not the protocol.

> >

> >For example. if some body send a packet from RIP

> >protocol to the destination far away 60 hops, the

> IP