cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ip sec tunnel routing

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

how would I apply certain routes to go through my ipsec tunnel on my router ?

8 Replies 8

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

you can use it by pointing the static route to the tunnel interface as well as you can do it by publishing the tunnel network in your routing table...

regards

Devang

rate this post if it helps

i was told you have to use an access list to allow interesting traffic to bring up the tunnel ?

hi carl...

its all depends on your connectivity... when you use normal connectivity and configuration you not need to define intresting traffice... you are using accesslist to allow intresting traffic when you have ISDN connectivity....

regards

Devang

please rate the post if it helps

Hi Carl

Instead of encrypting all the traffic going via an interface where the crypto map is applied and as a prequistie you need to mention the interesting traffic using the ACLs (mostly the local lan subnets of your locations between which you are creating the ipsec tunnel).

regds

so I gather I have to point a route to the interface, and also an access list on the interface to encrypt the traffic, am i right ?

Hi

You simply need a default route via your wan interface and define interesting traffic to be encrypted using ACL so that the particular interesting traffic gets encryption strength.

regds

do we point this to the wan interface, am I right in saying the ipsec is just applied to the wan interface ?

Hi Carl

Yes you are right , you need to point the same through which you can reach your peer router.

Almost in all the cases its towards the WAN interface through which we reach the outside world.

regds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco