Helpful
Replies

IP SUMMARY-ADDRESS

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

HI

WHAT IS THE BENIFITS OF OF THE SUMMARY COMMAND IN EIGRP:

IP SUMMARY-ADDRESS EIGRP 1 10.10.0.0 255.255.0.0?WITH THIS COMMAND CAN I LIMIT ROUTE PROPOGATION.

10XS

ALI

7 Replies 7

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Ali,

EIGRP default go for auto summarisation but if you have disabled that you can configure manual summmarisation also with the command which you have mentioned.

Now once you do summarisation it will not filter the routes but it will only reduce the size of routing table by which I mean what all rouets comes into the summmarised address need not be seperately advertised and learned in routing table but one summary address will represent all the routes which it covers.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

10xs for ur reply!

if i have l3 link between the core and distribuion.can i use an etherchanel to bundel the 2 link.simple config betwen the dist and the core.with etherchanel.

Hi Ali,

Yes you can have l3 etherchannel between core and distribution switch.

You must manually create the port channel logical interface first

Cat6k# configure terminal

Cat6k(config)# interface port-channel 1

Cat6k(config-if)# ip address

Cat6k(config-if)# end

then put the Layer 3 LAN ports into the channel group

Cat6k(config)# interface type slot/port

Cat6k(config-if)#no ip address

Cat6k(config-if)#channel-group 1 mode {active | auto | desirable | on | passive}

This is just a sample config and if you want to go in detail of each command which I have mentioned here you can have a look at this simple link which will guide you step by step how to configure l3 etherchannels

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/12_1e/swconfig/channel.htm#wp1020478

HTH, if yes please rate all post.

Ankur

Hi Ali,

Yes you can have l3 etherchannel between core and distribution switch.

You must manually create the port channel logical interface first

Cat6k# configure terminal

Cat6k(config)# interface port-channel 1

Cat6k(config-if)# ip address

Cat6k(config-if)# end

then put the Layer 3 LAN ports into the channel group

Cat6k(config)# interface type slot/port

Cat6k(config-if)#no ip address

Cat6k(config-if)#channel-group 1 mode {active | auto | desirable | on | passive}

This is just a sample config and if you want to go in detail of each command which I have mentioned here you can have a look at this simple link which will guide you step by step how to configure l3 etherchannels

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/12_1e/swconfig/channel.htm#wp1020478

HTH, if yes please rate all post.

Ankur

HI ANKUR 10XS FOR UR REPLY!

WHAT ABOUT THE IP ADDRESS IN THE 2 SWITCH.WE DON'T NEED POINT TO PINT LINK BETWEEN THE 2 SW?

10XS

ALI

Hi Ali,

You need to configure the second switch also with same set of command with only difference in ip address.

As you told you already have a layer 3 link between core and distribution switches so you must be having some ip address assigned right? If yes just use the same ip address on the interface port channels and remove the ip address which you were having on the physical interfaces and then bind those physical interfaces with the logical port channel interface.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

hi ali,

its way to reduce the entry in routing table...

by using this command u will have single entry in routing table regarding to the networks of same subnets.

regards

Devang

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: