cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Telephony over LRE?

mbell
Level 1
Level 1

Has anybody has successfully deployed IP Telephony over LRE? In theory, I would think it would be no problem but I have not seen it done yet. I am looking at a small implementation (<20 phones) using 7960 sets connected to LRE CPE sets. I am assuming that neither the 575 or 585 CPE devices provide inline power because I could not find any mention of that on the data sheets. I also wonder how connecting IP phones into LRE devices affect CDP that phones need to configure themselves. Does everything have to be hard-coded into the phone or will LRE pass VLAN information over CDP?

3 Replies 3

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

It is sure that IP telephony can be implemented over LRE.But,have not come across any practical implementations.I think u need to hardcode Cdp information into the ip phones since Ip phones are non cdp enabled.

follow the following URLs for more information.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps637/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800d9d3a.html#64011

We do have a forum specifically for IP telephony. You might want to post this question, there.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

DAVE GENTON
Level 2
Level 2

I did alot of LRE work when I was at Cisco. You can do IPT over LRE but there is no queuing strategies other than FIFO on the 575 devices. If you have more than a phone hanging off the device there is no qos strategy.

-d