Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Ip unnumbered

I need to give a customer a static ip on router2 that is already configured in a loopback range on another router (router 1). It is on a atm interface and in the past I just used ip unnumbered loopback1 and then ip route x.x.x.x 255.255.255.255 atm2/2.2

But the loopback is actually on the other router(router 1). Could I use a ip unnumbered fastethernet command on the atm interface(router 2). Then on the router where the loopback range is actually configured I could do a ip route (his static) 255.255.255.255 (ip of router 2). I would then do a ip route (his static) 255.255.255.255 (his atm int.) Will that work?

Thanks for the help!

1 REPLY

Re: Ip unnumbered

x.x.x.0/24 routerb------------routera x.x.x.x/32

Since each of these routes has a different prefix length (subnet mask), they're considered different destinations, and they will both be installed in the routing table. Longer prefixes are always preferred over shorter ones when forwarding a packet. If they had the same mask (seen as same destination), the router would forward packets to the directed connected interface as it would have a admin distance of 0, compared to 1 for static routes. But when routerB receives a packet for x.x.x.x, it will forward it to routerA, as the routes have a different mask. I tested this before and it works.

You are lucky it's a loopback because if it were an interface, packets on that interface destinated for that host IP wouldn't get there - ANDing process would see the IP as on the local subnet and wouldn't send it to the default gateway, would arp for it (assuming proxy-arp is off).

Steve

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content