Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ip unnumbered

is it possible to have an ip on the serial interface and ip unnumbered on the ethernet ?

5 REPLIES

Re: ip unnumbered

Sure carl,

no problems with that.

check the link:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/701/20.html

HTH,

please remember to rate all posts.

Vlad

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Vlad

I am surprised at your answer, especially when you posted this link. If you look in that article you will find this:

Finally, remember that the ip unnumbered command works on point-to-point interfaces only. When you configure the command on the Multiaccess interface (that is, Ethernet) or the loopback interface, the following messages are displayed:

RouterA(config)# int e0

RouterA(config-if)# ip unnumbered serial 0

Point-to-point (non-multi-access) interfaces only

The traditional implementation of ip unnumbered was specifically for point to point interfaces only and did not work on Ethernet.

Cisco has added a feature in 12.3T which changes the restriction a little. There is now a feature which does VLANs over IP Unnumbered Subinterfaces. If you look at this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a00801d1dfd.html

you will find discussion of ip unnumbered on Ethernet VLAN subinterfaces. As far as I know that is as close as you can get to doing ip unnumbered on Ethernet interfaces.

HTH

Rick

Hello Rick,

thanks for clarifying I didnt read the post well.

I guess he was asking for the opposite and I've never done it in the past.

Vlad

Hi

practically i hve seen the other way around having ip assigned on the ethernet and ip unnumbered on the serial interface though its not suggested to have this kinda setup in the operations viewpoint..

regds

yes carl you can have

devang

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content