Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ipv6 Vlan Interface EUI-64 assignation problem

Hello, I have 2 routers 1800 series with switch modules incorporated connected with IPv6. Everything is working fine except for the problem that when I assign an IPv6 address to a Vlan (using the EUI-64 format to the switch ports), it assigns the SAME interface id (last 64 bits of the IPv6) of a fastEthernet port (FE 0/0), to the vlan, causing an error problem of duplicity:

" c..T, overlaps with another prefix "

Why does the EUI-64 assigns the MAC address of the FastEthernet ports instead of the ones in the switch modules?

2 Replies 2

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Would you be able to post the relevant bits of your config ?

Thanks,

Paresh.

Thanks for the reply, but I just solved the problem. The problem was with the command IPV6 ADDRESS AUTOCONFIGURATION. This command definitely brings up a lot of trouble with VLAN ipv6 address assignation.

After some testing I concluded that:

1- If one interface has the IPV6 ADDRESS AUTOCONFIGURATION mode on, the interface could end up with more than one ipv6 global interface address.

2- You cannot assign this mode to a vlan interface without getting into configuration problems.

3- If a FastEthernet Interface has this mode on(IPV& A. A.), the router does not let you assign a global unicast address to the vlan interface, and gives the following error message:

%IPV6-6-ADDRESS: 3FFE:C00:C18:F100:213:C4FF:FE44:4961/64 can not be configurex

4- For the VLAN`s Interface ID you have to manually assign the link local address with the command line

IPV6 ADDRESS FE80::1 (or any other unique link local address) LINK-LOCAL.

This is for Vlans that are in a switch module of the same router.

All this testing was for a Cisco router 1800 series with a switch module integrated in the router.

Could be that this command is used for other specific occasions which I am not aware of.

Regards,

Grupo GTD

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: