Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

IPX switching

I installed a 3550 switch and am routing 3 subnets between vlans with ip. The problem came when I tried logining in with an ipx client - can't gain access. We have a couple of old Windows clients using ipx and no ip to access a Windows server using ip and ipx. Everything thing was ok with an old hub. Is there anything in the config that I need to turn on in order for ipx to travel through the 3550 or is the delay that I've read about the only problem.

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: IPX switching

do you have "spanning-tree portfast" under the fastethernet interfaces where you have IPX clients? Also are the servers and clients in the same VLAN? 3550 cannot do IPX routing and you'll need to use fall back bridging if they are in different VLANs

Re: IPX switching

I didn't turn on portfast, and I'll have to check to see if the servers and clients are in the same vlan - I don't believe that they are. Thanks for the info. I'll just push these clients to IP if they are in different vlans.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.