Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

IRDP Issues

I need to set gatways for my windows based workgroup PCs. Static Gatways are not an option.

I need to assign dynamic gateways to my workgroup PC's (I have two 1720 routers acting as gatweways - one is backup). I can not use HSRP, and I've thought about using IRDP. Are Win2k/98 capable of understanding IRDP multicast/broadcast or will I need to install some other application software. Also my Catalyst 2912 does not forward the IRDP broadcasts.

Any help would be appreciated!

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
3 REPLIES

Re: IRDP Issues

Windows needs a static gateway. I’m not aware of any software that lets you circumvent this. IRDP will work for discovering routers, not PC’s. It doesn’t look like Advanced Server even supports it.

You could use the proxy arp function of the router. Check it out:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/5.html

Seems you're probably out of luck on this one, if you can't use HSRP (why not by the way?)

If you want to balance clients between the two routers, you could set up part of your DHCP scope to hand out the one router's address as gateway, and the other part to hand out the other router as gateway. Kind of imprecise, but it may help.

Windows can take more than one gateway, perhaps simply putting in *both* gateways is your solution.

Views
Helpful
Replies