cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is 802.1q VLAN trunking supported on old cat 5000 interface modules?

rolalo
Level 1
Level 1

I have a catalyst 5500 CatOS 2.4(3), I am planning to upgrade the software into CatOS 4.5(13) which supports 802.1q VLAN trunking.

But I am worried that my existing interface modules will not support 802.1q trunking :( My modules are: WS-X5111, WS-X5213A

4 Replies 4

DALE FRANCIS
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Those modules do not support dot1q, also the WS-X5111 was discontinued a while ago in april 1999.

I think you should still upgrade to 4.5 for features etc, as you can not even issue the command sh port capabilities which would of told you what a port supports.. :))

Follow this URL as it will give you what H/W supports what features:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/cc/pd/si/casi/ca5000/prodlit/c5swt_ds.htm

Regards

Thanks a lot, I have another question.

I am upgrading my Supervisor II Module WS-X5506 from 2.4(3) to 4.5(13).

Do i still face some restrictions on the hardware: DRAM, FLASH, MCP BOOT ROM?

Hi,

Most definately you do face some issues, it will also require a STEPPED migration you will require at least 16MB of DRAM and naturally enough flash for the image to fit on. The NMP and MCP ROM upgrades generally refer to supporting newer internal H/W such as 32MB simms etc, so unless you would like this then i would not worry to much, however if you can or ahve the outage to upgrade then it might be wise to upgrade the NMP and MCP's.

You will have to upgrade in the following steps..

1. Upgrade to software release 2.4(5)

2. Upgrade to release 3.2(4)

3. Upgrade to release 4.x.

Regards

rolalo
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you very much... It was a great help :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: