cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is Cisco WS-C2950G-48-EI 48-Port Switch a layer 3 device?

IsaiasPerez1977
Level 1
Level 1

I just bought one from Ebay and i can seem to find the IP routing command anywhere in the global configuration menu? I can t seem to find how to turn on SSH V2 either? its so weird. I am a beginner with CCNA and have been studying but cant seem to find certain commands. Do I need to update the version of the IOS?

14 Replies 14

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Isaias,

Which Image u r running on switch ?

May be u r running Enhanced image running on the swicth ??

It works as layer 2 device.

Regards

The whole Catalyst 2950 platform does not support routing, they are solely layer-2 switches.

If you want to use cryptographic functions like SSH, you have to use an "IOS Crypto Image":

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=275935124&flowid=2399&softwareid=280805680&release=12.1.22-EA14&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=ED&reltype=latest

(On more recent platforms, a Crypto IOS has a "k9" in it's name)

HTH

Rolf

Thank you very much. This was advertised as a L3 switch on ebay. What would be your recommendation for me to buy a cheap layer 3 switch that i can practice my CCNA Studies with? I have been looking in ebay.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No.  2950-series switches is purely a Layer 2 appliance (switch).

Message was edited by: Leo Laohoo Duhhhh ... Type-o in my part.  I meant a 2950.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

As the other posters have noted, the 2950G is a L2 switch, not a L3 switch.  However, the -EI (enhanced) version does offer some commands not available on the -SI (standard) image version, and later IOS versions will offer some (new) commands (features).  For example, I recall rapid-STP is supported only in the later IOS versions.  Keep in mind, though, the 2950 series has been EoL for some time, so you'll likely not to find some features available in later series switches.  This may be the case for SSH v2.

As the others have already mentioned, you won't get IP routing on that device. But SSHv2 will work with the right image. The image you have to look for is a "c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.version" and this will support SSHv2.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

isaiasperez77
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you very much guys. This was advertised as a L3 switch on ebay. What would be your recommendation for me to buy a cheap layer 3 switch that i can practice my CCNA Studies with? I have been looking in ebay.

HI Isaias,

Buy 3560  with 9 ports, its cheap.and works as layer 3 swicth

Reagrds

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

thank you very much.

HI Isaias,

Please mark this question as answered, it may help others.

Thanks

How do you do that? I have searched all over the page and dont see where to mark the question as answered?

How do you do that? I have searched all over the page and dont see where to mark the question as answered?

Have a look here:

I posted a question, how do I mark a reply as 'Correct Answer'?

Thanks,

Rolf

WS-C2960-8TC-L is a Layer2 Switch with limited L3 functionality. For studying it should be a nice device.

Hi

Perhaps bit late but the WS-C3550-24-EMI are cheaper then the 3560/2960 series , these WS-C3550-24-EMI are L3 also they are EOS in 2006 but are still used for CCNA/CCNP/CCIE labs. Around 90 euro on ebay .

Good luck !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: