Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Is it possible to build a ISP without ...?

Is it possible to build an ISP network without routers. in other words, is it possible to substitute a router with layer 3 switches which will be placed on the edge of the network?

special thanx

2 REPLIES

Re: Is it possible to build a ISP without ...?

Anything is possible, this would be highly dependant on whether you could get ethernet connectivity to your upstream rather than a serial interface of some sort.. I don't believe the L3 switches support the higher-end routing protocols like BGP either, so you'd have to survive with static routes or something similar. Also, how would you provide connectivity to some of your downstream customers? Unless you are serving a very small niche, I'm thinking your probably trying to go about things the hard way when getting a router would make things much easier...

I think the hardest part would be finding an upstream who is willing to work with you on this, I'd personally start there and listen to their equipment requirements/recommendations.

Gold

Re: Is it possible to build a ISP without ...?

the 6500 and 7600 support wan type connections, but our experience has been the IOS for L3 switching is not the best for running BGP.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content