Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Is it possible to set per port speed to something besides 10 or 100?

I work in a datacenter, and we want to limit our clients to selected bandwidth plans.

Is it possible to set the per port speed to something other then 10 or 100 megabits? Such as 4/8/ or 12? or any number we want?

Or is it possible to do this in a vlan, and then group all the ports we want at say 5mbs into that vlan?

Currently we are using Cisco 5500 series switches. If these do not provide the options to do this, what Cisco equipment will?

Thanks for the help.

-tz

3 REPLIES

Re: Is it possible to set per port speed to something besides 10

I dont know if you can change the 10/100 but what you might want to do is to rate limit on the port for specific traffic but this is not supported by all modules.

cheers,

-ian

You can not set the speed for ethernet ports other than 10/100/1000, and you can refer to alot of links on the site, however, serial interfaces default to T1 speed of 1.54Mb and you can change it for fraction T1 or whatever bandwidth for policy reasons.

You can use QoS to change the available bandwidth as needed, for example to increase the available bandwidth for VoIP, or smtp, or any critical application over non-critical applications, BUT you can not change the speed other than 10/100/1000, you are just manipulating the output queues of the interface " priority and size ", but not the speed.

Implementing QoS is not an easy task and it requires a good understanding.

Check this link

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/12_18a/config/qos.htm

QoS looks to be the way. From what I have read, traffic shaping is more for outgoing interfaces, then in/out interfaces. and with QoS I will be able to set on a per port or per vlan requirements.

I am not sure if my Cisco 5000 switches can handle it, but this looks to be the right direction. As you said, the connection will still be 10/100/1000, but the Qos will cut it down to whatever bandwidth I set.

The reason we need this is, we co-locate machines, and resell bandwidth to them at 4/8/12mbs. The problem is, right now everyone is set to 10mbs :)

Thanks for the help.. If anyone has any experience in setting this up, please let me know. Thanks,

-tzulo

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content