cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

is it possible to shutdown a sub interface ?

f.taj
Level 1
Level 1

I don't have access to a lab router at the moment and have been asked if it's possible to administratively shutdown a sub interface.

I think the answer is no, could someone please confirm.

Thanks.

Farouq Taj.

4 Replies 4

rhickey
Level 1
Level 1

A serial sub-interface can be shut.

douglas.elliott
Level 1
Level 1

I know I had a problem after building subinterfaces on an L3 card on a 4006 switch. I missed the part in the documentation about not being able to shutdown the subinterfaces.

alsarinetworks
Level 1
Level 1

Hi f.taj,

In a Ethernet sub-interface (Fast/Gigabit) it's possible.

Regards

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I don't have access to a lab router at the moment and have been asked if it's possible to administratively shutdown a sub interface.I think the answer is no, could someone please confirm.Thanks.Farouq Taj.

Hello Farouq,

As you know Subinterfaces are associated with physical interfaces. Subinterfaces are enabled when the physical interface with which they are associated is enabled, and subinterfaces are disabled when the physical interface is shut down.

and Subinterfaces can be enabled and shut down independently of the physical port with which they are associated. However, you cannot enable a subinterface of a physical interface that has been shut down.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: