cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to use dialer-watch with BGP?

adam.wilkins
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if you can use dialer-watch with BGP routes?

3 Replies 3

teru-lei
Level 1
Level 1

Hi adam,

I think you can. I have not tried it, I just tried to use dialer-watch for ISIS backup. But I think it's the same. But I think it need some time to make route convergence. you can set the backup peer as BGP peer. so if the primary link is up. the backup link is down and the backup peer will not form a BGP neighbor. but when the primary link down, the backup link will up, at that time the BGP can form neighbor, and then route convergence. I tried that is ISIS, I make my ISDN link as backup link and setup command " ip router isis" in both end of the ISDN link. And when the primary link down, the backup link up and the link can form clns neighbor and exchange the route. Hope that help.

Best Regards

Teru Lei

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

YES.. you can use it. Dialer-watch works on the watched routes. So it will work with any routing protocol.

Dialer watch works fine with BGP

The dialer watch list must match the route of the address being watched in the routing table at the local end -Not the address being watched.

You can test by adding the address to watch to a loopback on the remote end. Ensure the network is learnt in BGP ie redistribute connected or a network /mask statement under BGP. Remove the loopback address and see if the ISDN call is activated

An alternative is to use eigrp over the backup link and block the advertisement of the loopback address back through eigrp to the calling site

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: