Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Is NAT/PAT of multicast group address possible?

I have two sources sending same multicast data to same multicast address via a router on a single LAN. In order to differenciate these data sources, need to translate one of the data source's multicast destination address to another multicast address. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Is NAT/PAT of multicast group address possible?

I would test it with NAT if I were you. I don’t think PAT is likely to support multicast groups. I can’t see why NAT wouldn’t work though.

Re: Is NAT/PAT of multicast group address possible?

Thanks for your response.

In fact, I did tried to NAT multicast group address but didn't seems to work. Not sure if there is something wrong with my configuration or it's not meant to work. Hence, hope to find out if anyone knows whether NAT of multicast group is possible at all.

Following is the configuration I used to test the NAT of multicast traffic (239.0.0.8 to 238.0.0.8). The traffic source is from 10.0.1.0 network. I expect to see the translated multicast traffic of 238.0.0.8 on the 10.0.2.0 network but instead, I still see the non-translated traffic of 239.0.0.8. Turned on the IP NAT debug but didn't see any NAT activity.

*******************Config Start*******************************

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address 10.0.1.254 255.255.255.0

ip pim sparse-mode

interface FastEthernet0/1

ip address 10.0.2.254 255.255.255.0

ip nat outside

ip pim query-interval 3

ip pim sparse-mode

ip nat outside source static 238.0.0.8 239.0.0.8

*******************Config End*******************************

Thought of using "ip nat inside destination" command but realized couldn't have static one to one translation to meet my requirement.

Rgds, SweeEng

Views
Helpful
Replies