cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is the Adtran Atlas 550 the one...

ericscher
Level 1
Level 1

Is the Adtran Atlas 550 the one I can use to simulate WAN links if I am practicing for CCNP level exams?

6 Replies 6

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Yes it is. The 550 can also do ISDN simulation.

The other unit is an Atlas 800 series (~830) also does T1, ISDN, DS0, POTS (FXO,FXS) etc.

Enjoy...

Scott

Hello,

I think the Atlas 550 is rather expensive, an easier (and cheaper) way is to just purchase a 2500 router and e.g. one or two 1600 routers and connect them with a DTE/DCE cable or back to back. You can configure the 2500 as a frame-relay switch, and you can simulate PPP/HDLC WAN connections as well. The Atlas is, as far as I know, a rather heavy classroom tool. I wouldn´t spend the money unless you have a strong use for it afterwards.

Regards,

Georg Pauwen

I've got some 2500's.

I know I can use "encap frame relay" but I already know that I can't do dial-up remote access without buying modems and I'm not sure if I can do ISDN, especially stull like DoD.

So I started wondering.

If you can get a router with a minimum of two serial interfaces, then, you can use that as a frame-relay switch. Two routers can be connected to this unit as DTE equipment. If you can get a 2522 which has 9 serial interfaces, thats good enough to be used as a frame-relay switch. Check this link for setting up a router as frame-relay switch.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/wan_c/wcdfrely.htm#1002491

To do ISDN switching, you will need an ISDN simulator. Atlas 550s are costly to own, instead you can by a cheap isdn switch like Teltone. You can also look out on ebay.com for used ones.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Actually, let me modify my question.

I'm coming into a bit of money in a couple of weeks. Not "new cisco equipment" kind of money, but definitely e-bay kind of money.

I have three 2501's, one of which started acting buggy this morning and another of which has 11.2 on it.

Plus I have a new 831 and a 1912 with a bad AUI port.

I could really use a good lab setup. Something that would really do well for me on finishing my CCNP (I only have the BSCI so far), and be a good starting point for building my CCIE lab.

Some of these challange labs call for 6 routets and even more! And, so far at least, they all seem to be 2500's & 2600's with an occasional 1700.

I figure I could put one together myself, based on best guesses, but then I figured y'all might have some suggestions.

Hello Eric,

for ISDN I am using two 1603 routers (which I think you can get on Ebay, for example - which country are you from, by the way?) and as an ISDN simulator I am using the Elmeg DAVOS-44.net, which runs at about 250 Euros. I am not sure about the orice of the Atlas, but as far as I know it runs into the thousands of dollars.

Regards,

Georg