cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a way to issue two config commands?

mike.cunningham
Level 1
Level 1

I am converting links from core to closet switch from layer2 to layer 3. I want to be able to do this remotely but when I configure the far end with the "no switchport" command I loose connection to the switch. I know that I can make a copy of the entire config and copy it to running-confg as a work around but thought it would be simpler to just affect one interface of this huge config. The two commands I would like to enter are:

no switchport

ip address 10.210.210.2

6 Replies 6

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I cannot think of any other way via telnet since once you enter "no switchport", you would loose connectivity not giving you an opportunity to configure IP address.

Try to cut and paste these commands together via a telnet session.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Probably the only way you could do this is to get a copy of your current config and put it in a text editor , make your changes to the config in there , put it on a tftp server then download it into startup config and then reload the switch during off hours .

Hi,

I agree to glen´s suggestion except a "copy startup-config running-config" would do without reload (maybe even during normal operation). You still will probably experience a brief outage until routing is up and running (setting up adjacencies?).

Regards

Martin

Thanks for the replies. Cut and paste did not work, I got the first command over but not the second one. Copying the config was a little hairy too, the implied commands like "no switchport" don't happen and the vlan database sometimes gets confused. I was thinking about a fiber to rs232 converter, I could use an extra fiber pair to reach a terminal server in the data center and remotely connect to the console.

There is always DBU if that is an option.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco