cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a way to limit bandwidth on a user basis?

drepus
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking for a way to impose a max bandwidth on users of an internet connection. For example, a T-1 to an ISP is connected to a router on a simple network. Is it possible to configure the router to limit users (or IP's) to a max of 128K of the bandwidth of the internet connection? If it is possible, what would be required to do this? I took a brief look at CAR and traffic shaping but those don't seem to limit the bandwidth on a user basis. Any information or links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-D

7 Replies 7

rberke
Level 1
Level 1

The difficulty is the 'user basis'. A router won't know about that level. It knows IP addresses and TCP/UDP ports for both source and destination.

Traffic Shaping or CAR could be set for the IP address of a user, assuming they were always using that same IP address. In a DHCP environment, you probably can't depend on that.

Perhaps within a Firewall, which performs user authentication and rules per user, you could accomplish the user level constraints.

If the objective is just to avoid bandwidth hogging by any individual user, but allow them to use all bandwidth if they're the only one trying to access at a given moment, then WFQ on your outbound WAN link would help. Unfortunately you won't have the same benefit from your ISP back to you.

Hope that helps.

Richard Berke

T. Rowe Price

Autucally with CAR, you can specify my MAC address now. So if you have multiple users commin in an interface, you can rate-limit on a machine by machine basis if needed.

e.tantsura
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

CAR in combination with access-list will do the job.

rate-limit input access-group 1 128000 2400 2400 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

access-list 1 permit /32 address

jahil
Level 1
Level 1

I believe rate-limit and traffic shae deals with IP address and MAC address, if you want to limit bandwith on some specific user then you have to look at contant base solutions, or some freeware softwares. like www.squid-cache.org. but if you want to limit the bandwidth for all of the users then you can use the combinition of access-list and traffic-shape.

austinjw
Level 1
Level 1

Not to hawk a particular product. There is a commercial product called Packeteer (www.packeteer.com) I have used that does exactly what you are looking for.

... or you can go for a Cisco 7400 (with a PxF engine) and a QoS Manager. It does exactly the same as what Packeteer and Sitara does... and it's from Cisco. :-)

What QoS Manager are u using

Thankx

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: