cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there an advantage to hard code fast ethernet to 100 full as opposed to auto half?

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have a 2620 fast ethernet dirrectly connected to 2912xl fast ethernet switch and right now it is set for :

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address 10.10.x.x 255.255.255.128

no ip directed-broadcast

speed auto

half-duplex

Is there any reason why I could not or should not hard code the router's fast ethernet interface to

speed 100

and

duplex full

?

5 Replies 5

Not applicable

No, no reason at all. If your switch

is 100M, then you should go ahead and

configure it.

bsivasub
Level 4
Level 4

2600 and 2924XL should be able to auto-negotiate speed/duplex. So I suggest let it auto-negotiate to 100-full. IF the 260 is a router on a stick and all inter-vlan traffic has to go through this link, half-duplex would result in excessive collision which would slow down the traffic. So always use full duplex setting regardless what the speed is.

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Auto-negotiate is not always reliable. For ANY critical link (or IMHO, EVERY link), you should hard code the parameters. If it's a 100 meg link, unless you have a specific reason not to, you should be at full duplex.

Do you really want to leave the operation of your network in the hands of a PROGRAMMER (the guy that wrote the op code for your equipment)?

Auto is for people to lazy or stupid to know what is plugging into their network (IMHO).

FWIW

Scott

between cisco devices auto-negotiating should work unless you are hitting into a bug !! I agree you can't beat the hard-coding part unless ofcource the admin makes a mistake. I think the probabilty of you hitting into auto-neg bug between two cisoc devices in this case is far far less then an accidental mistake.

I typically leave cisco to cisco to auto. :)

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Auto-negotiate is not always reliable. For ANY critical link (or IMHO, EVERY link), you should hard code the parameters. If it's a 100 meg link, unless you have a specific reason not to, you should be at full duplex.

Do you really want to leave the operation of your network in the hands of a PROGRAMMER (the guy that wrote the op code for your equipment)?

Auto is for people too lazy or stupid to know what is plugging into their network (IMHO).

FWIW

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: