Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ISDN Backup for Serial Line

I'm currently trying to figure out a way to test my ISDN backup for my Frame Relay sub-interfaces.

One of my Frame-Relay cards is split into four sub-interfaces, each sub-I/F has a dedicated standby BRI in standby mode.

Does anyone know a way I can test the fail-over without removing my serial cable.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES

Re: ISDN Backup for Serial Line

three ways

1, shut down your main serial interface, NOTE, not sub-interface

2, change the encapsulation frame relay to hdlc or others

3, shut down your FR switch

Silver

just remove the backup interface command it the isdn should dial . if it does not you can ping it up by pinging the ip address in your dialer map.

Hi Padraig,

Good Day! :-)

Here is an excerpt on how you could test the backup link for your frame-relay connection.

Testing the Backup Link

The backup interface requires that the primary interface protocol be down before the backup interface is even brought out of standby mode. Hence, it is not possible to test the backup link without physically brining the primary link down. The options are:

##First##

Use the shutdown command to turn off the primary interface. However, do not use the shutdown command on the router with the backup interface command configured. This will not cause the Cisco IOS software to dial the backup link. You can activate the backup by shutting down the primary interface on the router that does not have the backup interface command. In our scenario, the backup interface command is configured on maui-soho-01 (1600). Therefore, performing a shutdown command on the primary interface of maui-nas-05 (3640) will activate the backup link.

##Second##

Physically bring down the primary connection by unplugging cables or some equivalent method in order to bring up the backup interface.

You may also refer to this link for more information.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk133/technologies_tech_note09186a008009457d.shtml#backup_interfaces

Please let me know if this are the information that you are looking for.

Best Regards,

Ansley R. Verzosa

Hi Ansley,

Thanks for your help.

This should sort me out.

Silver

Be aware that "backup interface" is a problematic method of backing up frame relay links, above and beyond the challenge of nondisruptive testing. Plan on unscheduled downtime if you don't have "end-to-end keepalives" configured on your frame relay PVCs.

Seriously consider using DDR or dialer watch for your ISDN backup configuration. You'll save yourself a lot of pain and grief in the long run.

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

Views
Helpful
Replies