Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ISDN between US and UK

I have the task of setting up an 804 Cisco for despatch to the US and getting it to talk to a primary I/F on a 3640 in the UK. I have ordered an Ni1 interface in the US. I am concerned as to the differences between the 2 ISDN interfaces. I am aware that the US is 56K and talks about SPIDs etc. Is there anyone who has a config for the 804 and advice on what I should look out for. Do I have to set the line speed at both ends? The link is purely for data so I have no need to split the channels so is the ISDN number all I require for the SPID? I'd rather iron out a config here rather than state side. Any help/advice would be appreciated. I have had a go at the config so if there is anyone who could check my config out for me?

Owen O'Donnell

1 REPLY

Re: ISDN between US and UK

Hi Owen, it should not be that big of a deal. I am located in Canada which uses the same ISDN standards as the US and have several ISDN connections to the UK, France, and Frankfurt. Typically the North American carriers use the "basic-ni" type of ISDN switch but some also use the "5ess". When using the "basic-ni", which is what we use, you need to configer the SPIDs. These are assigned by the carrier. Ask the carrier for the switch type, SPIDs, the phone numbers, and how to place a call (in some places you have to prefix a 9). Also, you will have to specify you want to make long distance calls and pick a long distance carrier. About 56K, the US (or Canada) is not 56K. There was a while when data calls overseas could only be made at 56K. However that was several years ago. We've been able to setup 64K connections with France and UK with no problems.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content