cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISDN BRI "U" WIC: can it head-end two remote 56K V.90 analog modems?

konigl
Level 7
Level 7

I have an unused Cisco 2620, two ISDN BRI "U" WICs, and two ISDN BRI lines at the main office. Can I use these to provide a low-density remote access solution for up to four (4) remote dial-in users with analog modems?

I want them to be able to approach 56k on link speed. (Anything better than 28.8k or 33.6k would be nice.) What else do I need to make this work? IOS IP Plus? Digital modem network module? Something else?

Can you even terminate a 56k analog modem call on anything less than a remote access T1 PRI, and expect to get maximum connect speed?

4 Replies 4

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No..BRI-U in 2600 routers are not able to receive and terminate the calls from analog modems.

BUT If you have 3600 router with digital mica modems and bri lines , the calls from analog modems can be terminated to get 56K speed.

Pl. visit

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/bri_3640.html

Terminating the analog calls on T1 line is always there.

Thanks for the feedback on the BRI "U" WICs. I guess I will just have to get those people onto ISDN...

I looked at that link you pointed me to, about the BRI network modules and the digital modem modules doing what I wanted to do on the 3640. It got me thinking: I have another customer who could use that combination.

When I ran it through Product Advisor, though, it suggested that I consider the 3745 instead. Will that also work on the 3745?

YES..it will work with 3745 too.

Beware: Ensure that whomever you choose as your LongDistance provider, at your central dial-in site supports ckt-switched data. Otherwise, ISDN-originated calls outside your local calling area will not be possible. For instance, AT&T does allow this, and Cable & Wireless does not.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: