Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ISDN CONFIGURATION USING 2 Routers

I have a Cisco 1720 router at an office. Currently, both serial interfaces are being used: one for a frame circuit and one for a STUN line. I ordered an ISDN to backup our frame relay circuit. Since I am out of router ports on the 1720, I sent an 800 router to be used with the ISDN. My thinking was that I would:

1) Put in a weighted default gateway on the 1720 router to point to the 800 router in the event the frame circuit would go down.

2) Configure the 800 router to dial only when needed.

I have tried a few configurations and I cannot get the 800 router to stop dialing. I have tried defining interesting traffic but still no joy.

Any advice would be appreciated!

3 REPLIES

Re: ISDN CONFIGURATION USING 2 Routers

Define a dialer list which permits only interesting traffic to dial, while denying the unnecessary traffic. Defining dialer list, will only decide, which traffic can initiate the link. Once the link is initiated, disconnection of the line is defined by the IDLE timer defined by " dialer idle-timeout".

Try, the following to define intersting traffic only for IP. For other protocols , you need to specify other protocols too, using the same dialer-list number.

dialer-list 1 protocol ip list 101

access-list 101 deny

access-list 101 permit

This might help.

you can user "backup interface" command in Frame interface, the isdn interface will up until Frame interface down.

int se0

backup inter bri 0/0

backup delay 0 5

there is so many solution, u can try it.

hope helps.

This wont work because, for backup inteface to work, the interface has to be on the same router. In your case, ISDN is on 800 router, while frame ckt is on 1700. So he has to use weighted routes. or a routing protocol.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content