Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ISDN - PRI

I work for the US Government and we have recently called out a PRI for one of our locations overseas and I was wondering if someone could tell me how the PRI gets broken out into 64K channels. Will a mulitplexer be required or does the terminal adapter break out the channels for you???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: ISDN - PRI

In that case you are correct. A multiplexer will be needed. Your provider can deliver this mux. It may cost a bit more but you are free to choose how you want your links delivered.

4 REPLIES

You mean a channelized E1 link?

There is no extra customer-side equipment needed for this, the difference is in the signalling with the provider. Your provider must be able to provide this service, it will not work on an ISDN30 that is configured for PSTN/ISDN dialing in/out. As you will notice, the controller config is different. The channels are split in to serial lines in the software. This is specified in the controller desciption. Example:

controller E1 0/0

framing NO-CRC4

channel-group 3 timeslots 4

channel-group 4 timeslots 8-9

channel-group 5 timeslots 14

description 2 MB Channel

When you create a channel-group, a serial interface pops up in the configuration.

Hope this answers your question,

Leo

Leo,

Great answer....However I don't think it solves my paticular problem. I can't plug the PRI directly into the router. I have to break each 64K channel out separately into a serial encryption device which connects to my router. This is why I was asking about a multiplexer. Any thoughts...

In that case you are correct. A multiplexer will be needed. Your provider can deliver this mux. It may cost a bit more but you are free to choose how you want your links delivered.

Cisco Employee

T1/E1 PRI line is a chennelized one. you need to ask the telco for that.

You will find many sample config here

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/Support/browse/psp_view.pl?p=Internetworking:T1T3E1E3&viewall=true

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content