cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISDN problem

rvf500
Level 1
Level 1

I am implementing a basic rate ISDN back-up. The problem I have is that one of the legacy routers we are replacing has a basic rate feed into a mux which then takes it out through a primary rate access.

The switch type is primary-net5 (for UK) which can be configured on the old router (an Ericsson). However I can't specify this switch type on the 3620 I am implementing as the interface only allows me to specify basic rate switch types.

Is there a workaround or do they have to bite the bullet and get a new basic rate ISDN line? I think the latter but would be happy to be proved wrong.

Thanks.

Steve.

2 Replies 2

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

If the provider is giving you a Basic rate through a PRI (using the combi. of mux and old router), then I think you are left with the option of ordering another ISDN line. Cant you request the same service provider for a change in line provisioning ? What WIC for ISDN are you using on the 3620 ?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

We are using a WIC-1B-S/T for the basic rate. I figured that I would have to recommend a new basic rate line but thought Iwould throw this one out to see if there was a workaround. Gotta try these things.

The Primary rate is carrying other traffic and the basic rate is a back-up for a new WAN rollout but utilising a legacy ISDN installation. So the best solution will be a seperate line I think.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: