Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ISDN Rotary Groups

I have a central site with 3 bri's, Multiple remote sites dial into the central site and pass IP across the ISDN( Eigrp runs acrosss the isdn ). What is the best configuration for this ? Is it rotary-groups on the central site or dialer pools?

2 REPLIES

Re: ISDN Rotary Groups

I would go for dialer profiles. If you plan to create 3 rotary-groups for 3 locations, each bri interface can be only member of one rotary group. That ties each bri interface to serve only one location always.

If you use a dialer profile ( make use of a dialer pool) , the bri interfaces will be in a dialer pool. And any of the 3 dialer profiles, can select any bri interface (whichever is free). Thus all bri interfaces can be serving, any of the 3 locations, at a time.

Silver

Re: ISDN Rotary Groups

Unless you really need a different configuration for each caller, you would be better off using either virtual profiles or legacy dialing on the hub. The critical thing is to use IP unnumbered so that the dial connection is independent of the line called. That way, your hub can expand not just to multiple links but even to multiple routers, all with no change in the configuration on the spoke routers.

There are multiple examples of hub and spoke dial backup in my book "High Availability Networking with Cisco." The example listings are on my web site, so take a look there first, then buy the book if you need the explanation of how they work.

If you choose to use virtual profiles and you also want to use dialer profiles, make sure you define at least two dialer profiles even if you only need one! Also remember that the decision of legacy versus profile dialing is independent at each end of the link, so you can use whichever is easier on each router.

Good luck and have fun!

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content