cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue Vlan 1

peguayapero
Level 1
Level 1

What class of issues could have if I place the users of my network in the vlan 1?

Why it would have that to place them in a vlan of different numbering?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

eric_chan
Level 1
Level 1

In general, I don't put any kind of traffic (users/mgmt) on VLAN 1.. I even take VLAN 1 out of any of my VLAN trunking allowed lists.

Read this white paper on VLAN Security...it gives a good insight on VLAN 1.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_white_paper09186a008013159f.shtml

I like to think of VLAN 1 as being reserved for L2 protocol traffic (e.g. VTP, CDP, etc ) so I don't put any other traffic on it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

VLAN is the logical group of the different subnets...as well as it is used to break the broadcast domain...by default two different VLAN cannot communicate with each other and if you want to make the communication between two different VLAN then you have to configure the inter VLAN routing. it means you can isolate the various group or subnet brodcas traffic to that particular VLAN. If you move your user from one vlan to other then they will not communicat with their previous vlan...

as you are going to creat multiple vlan you are having various number of vlan and vlan 1 is by default on switch so when you are going to creat any new vlan then it will be assign vlan number 2,3...and so on.

regards

Devang

I know that, right now i am reading about navite vlan,Vlan1 is native vlan by default.

I have my users in vlan 1 and others hosts in others vlans, for this i make the question .

eric_chan
Level 1
Level 1

In general, I don't put any kind of traffic (users/mgmt) on VLAN 1.. I even take VLAN 1 out of any of my VLAN trunking allowed lists.

Read this white paper on VLAN Security...it gives a good insight on VLAN 1.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_white_paper09186a008013159f.shtml

I like to think of VLAN 1 as being reserved for L2 protocol traffic (e.g. VTP, CDP, etc ) so I don't put any other traffic on it.

Hi

This requires a username and password, which I don't have. How can I get one or can you post an alternative link?

Thanks

Dan

williamhiggins
Level 1
Level 1

Vlan 1 by default exists on every switch as an admin vlan. Therefore, it is standard practice to create vlans sequential in order(I hope) to add users/ports to. Hope this answers your question.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: