Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
You may experience some slow load times, errors, and slight inconsistencies. We ask for your patience as we finalize the launch. Thank you.

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

JUMBO FRAMES

I just spoke to a colleugue and he said are we using jumbo frames there for your backups, can anyone enlighten me on this issue

thanks

Carl

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
25 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: JUMBO FRAMES

I think jumbo frames refers to giant frames.

Here is what I came up with on them

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_configuration_example09186a008010edab.shtml

does this make much difference to the speed of my backups ?

Hi Carl

Can you be more specific on what kinda backups you are talking about here ??

regds

basically out server backups, mail, file servers etc across my lan !!

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Jumbo frames can definitely make a difference in throughput and server load. Here is one citation supporting this assertion: http://www.small-tree.com/jumbo5.htm

Jumbo frames need to be enabled on both your host and any intervening network equipment.

Hope this helps. Please rate helpful posts.

would I change the mtu for the whole switch or particular interface ?

Hall of Fame Super Silver

For some switches (e.g., Catalyst 6000 series), jumbo frame support is configured at the port level. Others have it as a global setting. Some don't support jumbo frames at all. See the configuration guide posted above by arvindchari for details and syntax.

Can anyone suggest a good size to set my mtu as, this wont cause any problems with my normal traffic I presume ? what does everyone else set theres as ?

I think its between 1500 and 9000 ?

thanks

Changing the MTU size on 6500 series switches will be applicable for port level, where as for switches like 3550,3750 it will apply for all the ports by default.in this case you need to restart the switches.

rate this post

Views
Helpful
Replies