Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Killing Router on unauthorized Access

Once I have deployed a router, I would like to know how to render the router useless in case someone trys to gain access through the console router re-boot method. Obviously, I am trying to prevent someone from gaining access to passwords and string list.

3 REPLIES

Re: Killing Router on unauthorized Access

Hi,

you could use

R(config)#no service password-recovery

BUT you better know your passwords then (and do not mess up AAA or the like)!!

This command disables standard password recovery procedure. You could still replace flash memory then.

(To secure this event would be only possible with a pound TNT and a contact fuse ...

and you probably loose TAC support then anyhow ;)

Regards

Martin

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I believe that Martin is correct. This command will prevent the router from doing normal password recovery which seems to be what the original post was asking. It is a dangerous command, so be careful. It is a hidden command, so if you use online help you will not see it. I suggest that you do a search for this feature on the Cisco web site and study it carefully before you decide to implement it.

On the other hand, if you are going to deploy routers in remote sites and you are really worried about the possibility of someone at the site breaking into the router, this command is the way to prevent that problem.

HTH

Rick

Thanks Guys,

I found it also. We have implemented this on routers in remote locations that we do not have employees physically located on prem.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content