Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

L3 - configuration - Catalyst 4006 SupIII and Catalyst 6513

I am in the process of setting up a LAB , 2 Cat 6513 and 2 Cat 4006 Sup III , I want to configure L3 between the switches. Is it possible for me to get the basic configuration for the L3 - I have had discussions and some are : configure all the links in its own vlan (252 mask) , all my links between the switches will be dual gigabit (GEC) - do I put these two in one vlan and the same vlan on the other switch. I also see that my cat 6513 is running native IOS , all the ports are L3 capable (only when we type switchport does it become L2) The cat 4006 interfaces are all L2 - makes it a bit difficult to combine configurations. Do I configure OSPF for the core links (core vlan - 252 mask) and EIGRP for the other vlans on the campus or EIGRP on the whole network.

1 REPLY

Re: L3 - configuration - Catalyst 4006 SupIII and Catalyst 6513

You can have the cross links with a L3 connection (252 mask smart as it saves IPs) as that elimantes STP failover, now failover is in the hands of your routing protocol (which is much faster). Each end of the link must be in the same subnet/vlan. As for which protocol to use, this forum has had a few discussions on which to use (eg http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.ee89c33/2 & http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.ee8a10b/0 ). Read those and it should help on which protocol you should use. However, whichever protocol you go with, only use one, in other words either OSPF or EIGRP, don't use both. Adds compelxity that I am sure you could do without.

Hope it helps.

Steve

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content