Views
Helpful
Replies

L3 or L2 switching on Catalyst3550-SMI

b.go
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am planning to use Catalyst 3550-SMI-24 to separate net_1 (192.168.1.x/24) & net_2 (192.168.2.x/24). With following assignment:

1. port 1-23 for net_1 & port 24 for net_2. Gateway will be positioned in net_1, so net_1 & net_2 users must pass through net_1 to the router/internet.

2. I have tried to enable L3 switching on port 24, set it up as gateway for net_2 users. And also I have tried VLAN (L2) for this port too.

Although net_1 & net_2 are able to ping each other, messaging application like ipmsg (even I have set broadcast setting to both networks broadcast addresses)can not communicate between them. Client on net_2 seems like to be isolated from net_1. Do I need to enable any features (like bridging, etc)?

Any ideas and helps will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

b.go

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you enabled ip routing? It is disabled by default. You cannot bridge on this box

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you enabled ip routing? It is disabled by default. You cannot bridge on this box

Hi thanks for the reply, yes I have enabled ip routing so the client in net_2 can do the ping to gateway in net_1. The client in net_2 is able to connect to the internet without any problem. But I (net_1) use ipmsg to communicate with other users on net_1 and net_2 (using TCP/IP with broadcast to net_1 & net_2 being set).

I am not able to 'see' any users on net_2 except net_1 users, so this makes net_2 seems to be 'isolated'. Do I need to enable directed broadcast ?

Another questions are:

1. all ports for net_1 are running in switchport mode, and port for net_2 is running in no switchport mode. Is there any problems to communicate to each other networks within this condition ?

2. Does Catalyst3550-SMI support InterVLAN routing (without router) ?

Many thanks for any helps and suggestions.

Regards,

b.go

Catalyst3550-SMI has standard routing capability using RIP protocol. So, it supports interVLAN communication. To make interVLAN communication, configure SVI (Switch Virtual Interface). You have it everytime you make a VLAN. To configure itu, it's much easier using Cluster Management Software than using command-line interface. After configuring VLANs, to make SVIs work, you must configure routing protocol in menu Device-Routing and then check the option ip-routing, select the network you have, click Advance and select interfaces you want to make them communicate one another.

Hi many thanks for the reply,

I think this should be very helpful to me. Since some people told me that 3550-SMI is 'not L3 switch', but I doubt it. Routing command is available so it should be able to do routing.

I'm glad that I didn't make 'wrong' suggestion to purchase 3550-SMI...maybe we will consider to upgrade to EMI later (to provide more redundancy with HSRP or VRRP). I think we don't have it in 3550-SMI.

Once again, many thanks for the help.

Best regards,

b.go