cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LACP across two switches

pykim
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible yet to etherchannel (using LACP) from a server using Broadcom NICs (with the latest drivers and software) to two Cisco switches?

I heard that etherchannel has evolved but not sure to what extent. Thanks.

6 Replies 6

Hello,

I assume you are referring to multichassis LACP Etherchannels, that is, each NIC going into a different switch, and both links forming a channel ?

Regards,

GP

That is correct. Is it possible yet? Thanks.

Hello,

TMBK, the only way to configure an Etherchannel (wether PAgP or LACP doesn´t matter) is across a stack, because apparently that is the only way the channel group interface knows that it belongs to ports on different physical switches...

I will ask around if that has changed and let you know.

Regards,

GP

Does that mean that it is possible to configure an etherchannel between a 7206 router and two catalyst 3550 if both switches are linked together with a gigastack gbic ?

Thanks

Possibly.  It also might depend on what IOS is installed on both the router and switch stack and what specific hardware comprises the router.

It's also possible the 3550 stack and/or the 7206 won't support LACP, but might support other (older) Etherchannel options.

You can see if your devices support mLACP

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: