cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

lan analysis

tonythompson
Level 1
Level 1

we are planning an upgrade of our school lans from 10mb shared to 100mb switched...

we would like to do a sort of before/after comparison of general network performance from desktop to server. iow, if we pull out 10mb shared hubs and replace with 100mb switches, how would we verify and quantify (qualify?) that post-upgrade, data is moving faster, more efficiently, etc.?

the simplest analogy: say i measure my time in the 40 yd dash. then, i go work out like crazy and train like a madman for six months. then i do another 40 yd dash and compare the time. we're sort of looking for a simple, basic comparison to make on our lan.... mtia

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

kmataranglo
Level 1
Level 1

take a sime ple ftp test.

get a file with about 5 megabytes in size.

ftp it to the server, note the time. you should maybe see like 60kb/sec transfer rates.

now download it via ftp back to the pc, check your times again.

now migrate the switch

you should see a factor of 10 approx. in performance increase, but if you are still getting less than 100kb/secc, check your duplex settings and try again.

600kb is good, once you go to gigabit, then another factor of 10 and you should see about 6000kb full duplex

View solution in original post

the first thing you should do is check your network cards settings. Make sure that your cards are set manually to 100mbit and full duplex. of course, if your environment can not handle this, then manually set the NIC in your PC's to 10mb HALF duplex.

Half duplex will create some collisions on ethernet but thats kinda normal.

Also check the port configuration on the switch as well. Make sure the port you are plugged into is also manully configured to either 100mb FULL duplex or 10mb HALF duplex.

I have seen many problems with leaving the settings at AUTO. Even if you get what shows as a 100mb FULL duplex connection, your transfer rates can be very slow and full of errors. So manually configuring is better and safer.

If you have any other questions and I can help, please ask away...

Keith

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

kmataranglo
Level 1
Level 1

take a sime ple ftp test.

get a file with about 5 megabytes in size.

ftp it to the server, note the time. you should maybe see like 60kb/sec transfer rates.

now download it via ftp back to the pc, check your times again.

now migrate the switch

you should see a factor of 10 approx. in performance increase, but if you are still getting less than 100kb/secc, check your duplex settings and try again.

600kb is good, once you go to gigabit, then another factor of 10 and you should see about 6000kb full duplex

kind of you to reply, and many thanks for such a simple (and free) solution!

could you hang in there for just one more? please elaborate "check your duplex settings"? assume you are talking to a dull-witted 5-year-old child? thanks again!

the first thing you should do is check your network cards settings. Make sure that your cards are set manually to 100mbit and full duplex. of course, if your environment can not handle this, then manually set the NIC in your PC's to 10mb HALF duplex.

Half duplex will create some collisions on ethernet but thats kinda normal.

Also check the port configuration on the switch as well. Make sure the port you are plugged into is also manully configured to either 100mb FULL duplex or 10mb HALF duplex.

I have seen many problems with leaving the settings at AUTO. Even if you get what shows as a 100mb FULL duplex connection, your transfer rates can be very slow and full of errors. So manually configuring is better and safer.

If you have any other questions and I can help, please ask away...

Keith

keith - great stuff, and many thanks for taking the time to inform and educate.. cheers

tt

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: