Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

LAN config question

I am in a disagreement with a co-worker of mine. We are trying to design a LAN config for a company and I suggested to go with 4006's for the Core and 3550's for the closet where as he suggests the opposite. How's correct?

Thanks

7 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: LAN config question

I would think your co-workers plan is based on the higher port density in closet if a 4006 is used and to use a 3550 to aggregate the closets. How many closets switches will your LAN have and what port density are you looking at? Ideally it is a good idea to have 4006 with Sup3 in core and 3550-SMI switches in closet

Thank you for the reply and information

My colleagues here at work and I have discussed this at length and we have come the conclusion that your BOTH wrong. You should put the 4000s in the closets and 6500s in the core.

My colleagues here at work and I have discussed this at length and we have come the conclusion that your BOTH wrong. You should put the 4000s in the closets and 6500s in the core.

Cisco Employee

The depends on your budget. I have seen big financial customers have 6500's both in the core and the closet. I believe the question posted here was to choose between 3550/4006

I am with you man, go with that configuration.

This would depend on many things. First, is your core only an aggregation point for closet switches or are there clients or servers there as well? If there are additional resources, then how many are there and what type of connectivity do they require. The same type of question applies to the closets. How many and what types of clients exist there as well? What type of uplinks are you planning on using? Fast ethernet? FEC? Gigabit? GEC? Is there any LAN-side routing that needs to be provided? QOS?

To be honest, to truly answer your question correctly would require quite a bit more information.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content