Views
Helpful
Replies

Lan Confused

Froix1234
Level 1
Level 1

These are what I have:

12 Units with XP (1 with Windows Server 2003)

Each with realtek ethernet card

File Sharing is enabled in all units

a 24 Port Switch

My Problem: I can't share anything.

17 Replies 17

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

The first thing to ascertain here is to whether there is IP-level communication between your PCs and your server through your switch. If you do not have that working, nothing else will work.

So can you pls provide info on the following:

- have you assigned IP addresses to your PCs/server ?

- if you have, can you try running ping tests between say, the server and one of the PCs i.e Use 'ipconfig' on your command prompt to determine the IP address of your PC and then from your server, try 'ping

Once you have done that, we can look at any other issues that are present.

Hope that helps.

Pls remember to rate posts.

Regards,

Paresh.

I have not assigned any IP addresses. I get the IP address using 'ipconfig' and used the 'ping command.' All results are the same.Four lines of 'request timed out.'

Ok,

Let's start with something very simple.

Assign your server the IP address of 10.1.1.1 and a network mask of 255.255.255.0. (you can do this using the network-related icon in Control Panel).

Then, assigned one of your PCs the IP address of 10.1.1.2 and a network mask of 255.255.255.0.

Once you have done that, try the ping test again.

Pls remember to rate helpful posts.

Paresh.

Same result. 4 'Request Timed Out' lines.

In the process, my internet connection got cut.

I guess I should have added, My dsl internet is directly plugged in the switch.

Ok, so you did have internet connectivity...

Can you provide more info before we take this further ? For example:

- could you outline what works and what does not ? For example, are you able to access the internet from all your PCs ?

- what sort of switch do you have ? is it possible for you to provide its config ?

Regards,

Paresh.

I can access the internet from all the PCs.

I can't share files within the network.

I have a D-Link Des-10245 10/100 fast ethernet switch 24 ports.

Product Specs this site : http://www.dlink.com/products/resource.asp?pid=75&rid=341&sec=0

Are your PCs able to access any services on your server at all ?

Paresh.

None. Here's something though. Now that i've set my ip address back to auto, I pinged the unit with the ip address 10.1.1.2. Here's the result.

Reply from 10.1.1.2: bytes 32 time 22 ms TTL 252

Reply from.58.71.0.76 Destination Host Reachable

Reply from 10.1.1.2: bytes 32 time 28 ms TTL 252

Just a thought... can you paste the output of 'ipconfig ' from 2 of your PCs ?

Paresh,

Server

ip address - 192.168.1.34

subnet - 255.255.255.0

gateway - 192.168.1.1

Pc 2

ip address - 10.1.1.2

subnet - 255.255.255.0

gateway - . . . .

sorry for the late reply

Can you try this now ? First of all, issue 'ping 192.168.1.100' from your server. If that is NOT successful, then assign the following to your PC2:

ip address - 192.168.1.100

subnet - 255.255.255.0

gateway - 192.168.1.1

If the ping to 192.168.1.100 is successful from your server, try the next addres (i.e 192.168.1.101) - keep doing this until you find an address that is unused...

Once you assign this new IP to PC2, try to ping that IP from your PC and see if that works now...

Paresh.

Hi

In addition to the comments posted out you can also try out configuring another ip address which can act as ur secondary ip address in the server in 10.x.x.x range.

You can assign that ip as the gateway to the PC which ur using up in that range.

Server

ip address - 10.1.1.1

subnet - 255.255.255.0

Pc 2

ip address - 10.1.1.2

subnet - 255.255.255.0

gateway - 10.1.1.1

regds

Hi again

I've tried all those things. All units can access the internet unless i've set its ip address manually. When I let it set its own ip address automatically, the internet then becomes accessible.

As for the ping tests, any unit can successfully ping the server regardless of the units ip and gateway address. The server on the other hand can't ping any other unit except for 192.168.1.1, which I think is the modem's????

Hmm.. what sort of switch are you using ? Did you configure it yourself ?

Also, what type of modem are you using for your internet access ?

Paresh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: