Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

LAN Design : Cascade vs Not Cascade ?

Other than the affecting the uplink switch port performance, what are the other design parameter (eg.cost) that must be considered why a particular LAN desing should use cascading (stacking) like using a few 2950G with Giga Stack or it should buy a an integrated 4506.

So, if I need (48 x 4) ports, should I buy 4 2950G and cascade them or should I buy one unit of 4506 with 4 units of 48 ports module ?

2 REPLIES

Re: LAN Design : Cascade vs Not Cascade ?

Hi,

as usually, it depends.

1) on the money budget. 4506 will be more expensive but higher performance, L3 possibilities, etc.

You can choose supervisor and power redundancy, or you can have some support contract to fix possible failure (it would be single-point-of-failure in your network).

If you decide to use 2950s, you can buy a spare one for the case of failure and don't need any HW support contract.

2) on the network topology. 4506 requires one central wiring closet, with 2950s you can distribute per floor, e.g. But using more switches can increase your network STP diameter, on the contrary.

Regards,

Milan

Bronze

Re: LAN Design : Cascade vs Not Cascade ?

You could also have a look at the new 3750 series which can be stacked to create a 'virtual chassis', i.e. there is a single config for the stack, automatic ios up/downgrade when a switch is added to the stack, etc.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content