Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Lan design using 4506 and 2950 switches

We have 1 core switch and 12, 2950 series switches with 24 ports each. This is a new site with 3 floors and can accommodate 70 people in each floor and other peripherals are separate. So, each floor will be having 4 switches except the ground floor since, this floor will be directly connected with the ports found in the core switch. (Diagram attached)

Each floor will be assigned a separate Vlan. In the core switch I taught of assigning 4 ports to each Vlan. Each Vlan group of 4 ports will be connected to 4 switches individually to the switches gig port. All the 4 switches in the same floor will be interconnected through a cross over cable or thro other gig port which is found in the switch.

I need suggestions for

1. D’t know how far this plan is feasible.

2. If feasible,Where we need STP, ie in the core or the 4 switches which is found in each floor or both.

3. Should we need to call the up links to 4 switch as trunk port…

4. Any other suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

5 REPLIES

Re: Lan design using 4506 and 2950 switches

Hi Radjesh,

From the core switch connect thru Gigabit port to each floor 2950T & enable trunking.since you say that ground floor PC's will be connected directly to core switch, so no changes is required in that.

What you are doing is creating redundant links from the floor switches to the core by interconnecting the floor switches.

STP will need to be enabled on all switches on all VLANs to prevent loops in the network.

If you do not change any of the default STP timers you will be able to stack the floors switches 4 deep all though it is generally recommended to not stack edge swtiched more than 2 deep. Stacking only 2 deep instead of 4 deep will double the number of gig ports needed in the core.

Also, when interconnecting the floor switches it is recommended to use gig ports.

-Mark

VIP Purple

Hello,

the plan sounds very much feasible. You need to run spanning tree on all switches and all VLANs. In addition, make sure to configure the 4507 as the root for your VLANs, with the command:

spanning-tree vlan X priority 0

Also, set the 4507 to VTP server mode, and all the other switches to VTP client mode, For added security, you could protect your VTP domain with a password.

And yes, all links interconnecting switches should be configured as 802.1Q trunks (sonce the 2950 switches do not support ISL trunking).

And last but not least, configure VTP pruning on the VTP server switch, that is, the 4507.

If you are having problems with configuring any of the above, let us know...

Regards,

GP

Thanks guys.....

I have some more queries like...

1. I am not using any routing protocol in core 4506 switch. Is it ok if I just use the command IP Routing or any other is there.

2. According to my design, in the core switch I will be assigning group of 4 ports to each Vlan. Can I make all these 4 Ports as trunk ports to connect it with 4, 2950 switches in each floor. (ref diagram for better understanding).

Thanks guys for all your support!!!!

VIP Purple

Hello,

you do not need a routing protocol, since all your VLAN interfaces are directly connected. That is, configuring:

interface Vlan1

ip address 192.168.1.1

!

interface Vlan2

ip address 192.168.2.1

and so forth is sufficient. As you mentioned yourself, the global command ´ip routing´ is required.

And yes, you can configure all the (4) links for each floor as trunk links.

Regards,

GP

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content