Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

LAN load balancing over fibre

I'm setting up a new site's LAN which has 2 main comms rooms and 2 smaller ones all linked together via 1GB fibre with multiple links to each room (meshed). The equipment I have to use are Catalyst 3560 EI switches with 1000BASE-SX modules. I could obviously set this up as a basic layer 2 LAN and let spanning-tree block some of the multiple links which would work fine and offer great redundancy. It would be nice however to utilise all the available links and load balance them so I'm considering setting up all the fibre links as routed links using VLANs and 802.1q trunking with OSPF which I know would also work fine (and I've done before). However, I was wondering if anyone knows a simpler way of achieving the same result using an easier method? The only requirement is that the site's default gateway has to on a 3rd party's router who will provide me with a HSRP virtual IP address to use which will be located in either of the site's 2 main comms rooms.

Many thanks, Paul

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: LAN load balancing over fibre

You can configure Spanning-tree in such a way that you can load balance traffic by vlan over redundant layer 2 paths. This is explained in detail in the following document:

VLAN Load Balancing Between Trunks Using the Spanning-Tree Protocol Port Priority

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/15.html

HTH,

Bobby

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content