Views
Helpful
Replies

Lan problem

subashmbi
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

We are facing problem in Lan.we are connecting 6pcs in switch (6509).

My poblem is these PCs are connected in which ports in switch?because in our network have lot of servers are connected so we can,t find out easily to tracing the cable.

so I tried in switch command

1)sh arp listed the mac address and ip address of these 6 Pcs.

2)sh mac-addresstable address <macaddress of the pc) this is showing the port Gi2/48 in all these pcs.

3)gi2/48 is our trunkport.

So pls post some commands for find out these solution is very helpfull for me.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ekiriakos
Level 1
Level 1

If the mac addresses are shown to be learnt from a trunk port, that means they are connected to another switch. Go to the switch which connects to trunk g2/48 and do the same. Just follow this procedure until you get to the switch that the pcs are connected onto.

Rgds

E.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ekiriakos
Level 1
Level 1

If the mac addresses are shown to be learnt from a trunk port, that means they are connected to another switch. Go to the switch which connects to trunk g2/48 and do the same. Just follow this procedure until you get to the switch that the pcs are connected onto.

Rgds

E.

Thanks for ur help.

we have two switches .as per ur instruction i find out this is in the switch2

i removed the networkcable in pc.and i log in the switch2 and put the command terminal monitor.I couldn,t able to find out the log message in switch.pls tellme what is the command to see this logmessage in the switch.

Hi,

Not sure what exactly you are trying to do, but to see logs stored locally on your switch issue the command

show logging.

Rgds

E.

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Subhash,

Once you have found out the trunk port we need to find out the the remote switch to which the trunk is connected.

So check for "sh cdp nei int gig2/48 det" and you will get the ip address of the remote switch which is connected to this port.

Then telnet to that ip adderess and go to that remote switch and again check with the same mac address of that pc and you may find the port on which the pc is connected and again if you find a port which is a trunk repeat the process till the time you reach the access switch.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur