Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

LAN Restructure

Hi All

I am looking to restructure the LAN over xmas, and have designed a collapsed core topology. In the distribution layer, we have two 3550's with the emi image. At the access layer which services all 3 floors in our building, we have 2950's linked to both 3550's in the dist layer. On each access switch connecting to the dist layer, I am running uplink fast and this works well. I am also running backbone fast on all switches in the vtp domain. On the two 3550's in the dist layer, I am routing between vlans and running hsrp for all vlans. Having tested this in the lab, If a switch in the dist layer dies there is no disruption to service. The only potential 30 second disruption to service I have noticed is when the gig link between the two dist layer switches is unplugged. There is a 30 second delay whilst stp recalculates.

Just wondering if there was any way of getting around this, It tends to be 30 seconds when you unplug and 30 seconds when you plug in.

One other thing, in the access layer wiring closets, I have 4 or 5 switches in each, and will create a loop for resiliance. Again with this senario, there is a 30 second delay, is there any way of speeding this up.

Sorry for long post

Best regards

5 REPLIES

Re: LAN Restructure

Karl,

Yes, it is possible. However, if not implemented correctly, it can make a REALLY unstable network.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/122.html

Corr thats sounds risky .... is that the only way

Thanks for reply

It's the only way I'm aware of. I believe you can reduce the risks of the entire network dropping by using PVST or PVST+

Thanks for replys

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content