Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

LAN timeouts / app outage.

We have a 3000 user cisco network which is essentially a core 6509/dist5505 /access model. Network bandwidth is nominally low useage and there seems plenty of backplane and BW generally to support user demands. However - we get on a daily basis occasionaly disconnects and time outs to local resources (servers apps etc) for now apps for no apparent reason. I dont know how testable this situation is becuase it may just be that these boxes are occasionally "busy" but the users actually get more than appplciation latency - they get complete timeouts / app outage. I assume the only thing to check is the usual things like duplex mismatches dodgy cables etc? Any input to this appreciated thanks..

1 REPLY
Purple

Re: LAN timeouts / app outage.

That would be the first place to start, look at uplinks for utilization problems during the problem periods . Start checking the logs of all switches during the problem periods to see if anything unusual is showing up . Check for things like spanning roots being in the wrong place . Look for any links that have a lot of errors on them . I doubt it is a switch utilization issue though it can't be ruled out as we have seen a user bury a 6500 Sup 720 . Even if its a little busy they shouldn't get timeouts, you may have to get a sniffer and look at it.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content