Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Late collision errors

there were a lot of "late collision" experienced on the ethernet port of my router which is configured for HSRP as Active. I have swapped the available ethernet port of my router and still the same. This is connected to a switch. Any idea for cause ? can the switch port causes the prob.? What are some physical test i need to perform ?

thanks

cro

7 REPLIES

Re: Late collision errors

i think, that late collisions are caused collisions after first 64 bytes,this mean that the cable is too long. You could check cable lenght

Check the cable, connector and other physical medias between the two device.

Second, check the duplex mode, use full-duplex on both side of the link can decrease collisions.

Ethernet is CSMA/CD so you will see collisions anyway but the total should be 0.1 percent or less of the total output packets.

Ali

Ali,

Oliver wrote "late collision" it isn't the same as collision

Olda

So he did- apologies

Late collisions are caused by either violating the 5-4-3 rule, cable lengths exceeding 100 meters, or duplex mismatches.

My money is on the duplex mismatch.

You will probably find the other interface is running full duplex and is seeing many CRC errors.

Set them both to be either full or half.

Mick.

thanks for the information

Views
Helpful
Replies