cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Late Collision on the switch

naive.naive
Level 1
Level 1

I've a router connected to a switch, and the switch keep on displaying the errors below, bothe the switch and router are on auto-neg. When i fixed the speed and duplex, the connection went down, any idea what goes wrong ??

*Mar 1 10:48:25.176: %AMDP2_FE-5-LATECOLL: Ethernet0/0 transmit error

*Mar 1 10:48:27.095: %AMDP2_FE-5-LATECOLL: Ethernet0/0 transmit error

*Mar 1 10:48:29.319: %AMDP2_FE-5-LATECOLL: Ethernet0/0 transmit error

*Mar 1 10:50:31.074: %AMDP2_FE-5-LATECOLL: Ethernet0/0 transmit error

*Mar 1 10:50:31.723: %AMDP2_FE-5-LATECOLL: Ethernet0/0 transmit error

*Mar 1 10:50:32.793: %AMDP2_FE-5-LATECOLL: Ethernet0/0 transmit error

*Mar 1 10:50:37.901: %AMDP2_FE-5-LATECOLL: Ethernet0/0 transmit error

*Mar 1 10:50:53.110: %AMDP2_FE-5-LATECOLL: Ethernet0/0 transmit error

Thanks.

10 Replies 10

rwyates_2
Level 1
Level 1

Late collisions is caused by a time delay ussually a cable length problem or maybe NIC card issue. Here is a link that expalins late collission.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk214/technologies_tech_note09186a008009446d.shtml#topic4

Let me know if this helps.

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

You are running a 10Meg interface. Is there an ethernet transceiver on the interface? If so you may need to replace it. Or you may have a duplex mismatch with your hub or switch. Are you running a hub? If so, do you have alot of users or traffic on it. These items can cause late collisions...

no hub is involved, the cisco router on run on ethernet (10Mb), and hence only half duplex is used, and the cisco switch is running on auto neg...

as mentioned, i've tried to fix the speed at the switch at 10/half, but after configured, the link went down..

Again, are you running a transceiver off the back of the router interface? If so I would replace it. I would also hard code the switch for 10M/Half. And make sure your router interface is also set for half duplex....

nope..no tranceiver involved..

the router is hardcoded to half duplex, but not the switch, once hardcoded, the link went down..

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Change your cable (preferably to something purchased pre-terminated / already connectorized).

The symptoms you describe are frequently caused by a bad cable, or one that was not terminated properly (split pair, pins 3&6).

Give it a shot.

Good Luck

Scott

the cable used are the one comes with the cisco router..so, i guess that wont be the problem, right??

Still I think you have to try this by changing the patch cable.

You also mentioned that once you changed the auto settings on the

switch to force it to a manual speed/duplex, the interface went down. But I

think u need to wait for a while as its usual for the interface to go

down and come up, sometimes it flaps twice before coming up. Hope one of

these solutions work for you. If so please rate it.

i've waited for around 5 minutes, aren't that enough??

one thing i noticed, is the connection to the switch is at the gigabit port, will that be a problem??