Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 2 and Layer 3 Flows on Catalyst 4006 and 6509

ROBERT THOMPSON
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can anyone advise on the following scenario....

4006 Supervisor 3 - multiple vlans (layer 3 switching) scenario

1. If the supervisor 3 fails on the 4006, how long will the Layer 2 and Layer 3 flows exist on the box. (I presume Layer 3 flows will cease to exist)

2. How long will each user have layer 2 access to the LAN (1 big domain / VLAN).

The way I understand it is that Layer 2 flows will exists as long as the CAM is active. I am correct in saying this

6509 - I supervisor (no redundancy and layer 3 switching) mutliple vlan scenario

1. If a sup fails on the 6509, how long will layer 2 and layer 3 flows exist.

Any input is greatly appreciated

Regards

Rob

3 Replies 3

h.lu
Level 1
Level 1

I think,there might be many kinds of failure.If the DRAM or stuffs responsible for storing dynamic information corrupts,anything will be lost.

Thanks for your reply. I understand about CAM, aging etc. I wanted to make sure that a SUP, when it resets or fails etc, does not reset the backplane on the switch causing current L2 flow loss.

I will be testing all scenarios. I will be implementing dual sup's on the 6509, so the issue is not a big one. On the 4006, 1 sup only. I have considred the 4507, but due to its age on the market, it is high risk.

Cheers

Rob

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the entire Supervisor fails, the entire operation of the switch fails if you do not have a redundant Supervisor/Switch. However, in a CAT6509 running hybrid OS, if the Layer 3 card(MSFC) fails, Layer 2 continues to operate(within the VLAN). The default MLS aging time is 256 seconds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: