Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 2 Connectivity Problem

yazanmughrabi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a 1741 router connected through a switching interface (VLAN) to a 1310 wireless bridge. Periodically I have a problem where the router and bridge lose connectivity with no apparent reason i.e. they cannot even ping each other. I have tried changing the UTP cable between them but that hasn't solved the issue. I have set logging to a 'debugging' level but still cannot find where the problem is. Additionally when I do a show arp, I see that the entry for the corresponding MAC address entry is 'Incomplete'.

I have attatched their configuration and the router is connected to the bridge on interface Fa1.

Does anybody know where the problem might be or if there is anything that I can do to identify the problem?

Thanx in advance.

Yazan

3 Replies 3

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Check if you see some errors on tbe routers interface and also on the Wireless bridge interface.

Try setting up a static arp enntry on the router for your bridge and see if you still have the same issue.

conf t

arp x.x.x.x yyyy.yyyy.yyyy where X.x.x.x is the IP and yyyy.yyyy.yyyy is the 48-bit mac address.

regards,

-amit singh

Hello,

what environment are you using the 1310 in ? Is there anything in the path between your router and the bridge that could cause interference, such as microwave connections, or wirless (mobile) phone users ?

Regards,

GP

Hi Guys,

I tried the static ARP entry but the connectivity problem was still there.

As for the connectivity, the wireless bridge is in a very busy area with trucks, cars, machinery and even ships near by... so sometimes we do have interference but does lack of wireless connectivity have anything with lack of connectivity with the router?

Any help would be appreciated... thanks guys.

Regards

Yazan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: